- 1 kg Glutinous rice
- 3 spicy wine yeast 辣酒饼
- 2 sweet wine yeast 甜酒饼
- 3 tbsp red wine yeast 红曲 (if you want to yield red wine instead of yellow)
This is a type of beverage that I always like to drink, and also use for one of my favourite dish - Glutinous Rice Wine Chicken 糯米黄酒鸡. See recipe here.
- Wash rice and soak it overnight.
- Use a cheesecloth and put uncooked rice on it.
- Steam rice for about 20-30 mins on high heat.
- The rice will be slightly translucent when cooked.
- Cool the rice on plates. It should take around 2-3 hours. You may also run cool water over the to cool the rice down.
- While waiting for the rice to cool down, grind the wine yeast into powder form.
- Dip your hands in water and grab a handful of cooked rice and dip into the powdered yeast.
- When the rice is coated with the yeast, put into a glass container that has a cover.
- Once you have laid all the rice in the container, close the cover lightly and place it in a warm spot to leave for fermentation.
- It is important that heat is maintained during the fermentation process, so as to achieve its best results.
- During the first 3 days, the rice will break down with the yeast and bubbles will start forming.
- The process will take around 21 days, but if you put it longer, it is fine as well. I usually leave it for months or even up to a year.
You can also make Glutinous Rice Wine Chicken. See recipe here.