- Handful of shallots and garlic (minced) and few slices of ginger
- Preserved black beans
They come in a small plastic bag and are not immersed in any liquid. You may try preserved soy bean paste if you want but personally I like this more.
- 1 bitter gourd (sliced into 1 cm thick)
If you do not want it too cooked then you may slice it thicker.
- 500g pork ribs (marinated with soya sauce, pepper and corn flour/corn starch)
You may use 五花骨, 排骨, 软骨 or even 肉. But I think with bones better.
- Fry the bittergourd and the pork ribs separately. Frying before braising keeps the bittergourd and the pork rib meat together better. After frying, put it aside for later.
- Now pour out the oil till about 2 tablespoons left in wok, stir fry the onion, garlic and ginger. Add in the black beans and fry for about 3 mins. You should be able to smell the aroma of the beans.
- Add in the pork ribs to coat it with the condiments.
- Add water to level of the ribs and cover to boil.
- When the water has boiled, bring down the fire to simmer for about 30 mins.
- Add in bittergourd and simmer for another 10 mins.