SHARINGS FROM BAGAN
Things to note before visiting Bagan
Sharings from Bagan
I think these are pretty important for a new visitor like me after visiting Myanmar. I hope that you read these before embarking on this journey.
- Flies and bugs are everywhere, whether you like it or not. Bring a bottle of Citronella essential oil or some lemongrass ointment and make sure you apply before you set foot.
- If you plan to ride an ebike, bring arm sleeves, a sturdy cap (as it will fly off while biking), lots of thanaka or sunblock lotion, long pants, sun glasses to block out the sand.
- Arm sleeves for covering your arm from the scorching sun and avoid sunburning your arms
- Long pants for preventing the thorns from the side bushes from cutting your legs when you bike your way into all the pagodas
- The roads towards the pagodas can be very sandy and there are loose sand in the middle, so you need to ride very carefully.
- Wear shoes and shoes only, slippers and sandals can get very loose and trap sand while you ride. Rubber shoes or washable shoes are the best. I wore my Melissa shoes there and it served me well.
- Learn a few Burmese greetings that will get your everywhere and make a good impression and bring a smile to the locals.
- The whole Bagan is all about pagodas so if you are not into sightseeing in a village theme, forget about going!
- The locals are all very nice and polite people who only look scary and fierce because of the betel nuts that they chew all day.