Making the yam abacus
- 300g yam, cubed
- 100g tapioca flour
- 60g hot water
For cooking with the yam abacus
- 5 shallots, minced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 300g minced pork or chicken
- 80g dried shrimp, soaked
- 30g dried cuttlefish
- 40g mushrooms, soaked and cut into strips
- 40g black fungus, soaked and cut into strips
- 1 tsp salt
- Soy sauce to taste
2 tsp pepper
Cooking the yam abacus
- Steam the yam till soft,and mash. Leave it to cool.
- While yam still warm, add in tapioca flour and water. Knead.
- Roll into long log and cut into small balls about 2cm x 2cm.
- Use your thumb and index finger to indent a hole into the balls.
- Bring a pot of water to rolling boil. Drop in yam abacus balls and cook till it floats.
- Drain away hot water and rinse with cold tap water.
- Drizzle over some cooking oil to coat it evenly to prevent them from sticking. Set aside. If you don't intend to use it immediately, you can put it in a zip lock bag and put it in freezer.
Stir frying yam abacus
- Heat cooking oil in a wok and stir fry shallots, garlic and dried shrimp till fragrant.
- Add in cuttlefish, mushrooms, black fungus and minced pork.
- Add in yam abacus and seasonings. Add some water.
- Do not cook for too long, as it will melt when cooked for long period of time.