- 2 kg glutinous rice, soaked for 2 hours and drained.
- 24 Chinese mushrooms, soaked
- 80 bamboo leaves, washed and wiped dry
- 240g winter melon, cut into small cubes.
- 2 kg minced meat or belly pork (I prefer belly pork as the texture is better.)
- 16 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 big onions, minced
- 4 tbsp dark soya sauce
- 4-8 tsp coriander powder
Preparing the rice and fillings
- Wash glutinous rice and soak in water for 2 hours. Drain.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry garlic and shallots till fragrant.
- Add drained rice, pepper and salt. Stir evenly.
- Just roughly mix evenly, and not overcook it.
- Leave to cook.
- In another pan, pan fry coriander seed powder till fragrant and remove for later use.
- Heat oil in a wok, then fry garlic and onions till light brown.
- Add cubed mushrooms and pork.
- Add all seasonings and fry till fragrant. You may test at this point and add more of whichever taste you want.
- Then add cubed candied winter melon & continue to fry over medium heat.
- Reduce heat & simmer till mixture binds well.
- Season to taste with sugar.
Cooking the dumplings
- Once all the dumplings are tied, boil a huge pot of water and place the bunches into the boiling water, making sure they are submerged.
- Cover and boil for 2 hours.
- Once cooked, remove and hang out to dry.
- If you use a pressure cooker, it should take around 20-30 mins.
- Store in freezer if you want to keep for long. Enjoy!