I tried this dish made by a friend's mother and it has the nyonya flavours in it. So I went looking for the recipe. So here is the recipe after looking at a few and modifying it to my taste.
For cooking the chicken
- 680g Chicken parts, you can also buy boneless if you want, but personally I prefer the ones with the bones.
- 2 stalks Lemon grass, cut into 3 inches and bruised.
- 6-8 pieces Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Lime juice (squeezed from big or small lime)
- Salt to taste
For the paste
- 1 1/2 inch Galangal
- 200-250g Fresh red chili (seeded and sliced)
- 5 Shallots (sliced)
- 1 inch Ginger
- 6 Candlenuts (soaked in warm water)
- 1/2 inch Fresh turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Belacan (fermented shrimp paste)
- Blend all the spice ingredients till fine.
- Heat up cooking oil in a pan or wok.
- Add in the blended spices and stir fry till fragrant, a thin layer of oil should form at the top.
- Add lemongrass and lime leaves and continue cooking.
- Add chicken and continue stirring until almost cooked.
- Add the coconut milk and continue to simmer over low heat for another 15 mins.
- Squeeze in the lime juice.
- Add salt to taste.