I tried this dish made by a friend's mother and it has the nyonya flavours in it. So I went looking for the recipe. So here is the recipe after looking at a few and modifying it to my taste.
- 1 1/2 inch Galangal
- 200-250g Fresh red chili (seeded and sliced)
- 5 Shallots (sliced)
- 1 inch Ginger
- 6 Candlenuts (soaked in warm water)
- 1/2 inch Fresh turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Belacan (fermented shrimp paste)
- Blend all the spice ingredients till fine.
- Heat up cooking oil in a pan or wok.
- Add in the blended spices and stir fry till fragrant, a thin layer of oil should form at the top.