Preparing the cabbage
- 6 pounds of cabbage
- 1/2 cup sea salt
Preparing the marinade
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp sweet rice flour (glutinous rice flour)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
Preparing other vegetables
- 2 cups radish, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 7-8 spring onions, chopped
- 1 cup chives, chopped
- 1/2 cup garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1/2 cup fish sauce
- 2 cups hot pepper flakes
- Add salt to the cabbage and leave it for about 2 hours for the water to drain out. Also, you can soak the cabbage into salt water. Remember to turn the cabbage over so that both sides are completely soaked in the saltwater.
- Combine the rice flour and water and mix well, letting it cook over medium hear for about 10 minutes.
- Once it startes to bubble, add the sugar and keep stirring for another minute before removing from the heat.
- Let it cool completely.
- Once the mixture has cooled completely, add the seasonings and mix well.
- Add the other vegetables and mix it evenly.
- Drain the cabbage when done and leave to dry.
- Now, add in the drained cabbage and make sure that both sides are coated evenly with the mixture.
- Leave it in a glass container for a day.
- You may proceed to eat the fresh kimchi. In Singapore, it takes only 1 day for the fermentation to take place. If you are in a colder climate, it may take a longer time, so do test it before you remove and store in a container.
- Once you think that the kimchi is suitable to your taste and ready to store, remove and store in the fridge, which slows down the fermentation process.