- 10 dried chillies, soaked in water and cut to small pieces
- 8 fresh red chillies
- 8 candlenuts (usually found in the dried goods stall in markets)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 15 shallots (I like more of this as it increases the aroma)
- 2 tsp of belachan (fermented shrimp paste), toast it slightly to improve the fragrance
- 1 stalk of lemongrass
- 4 lime leaves
- 1/2 tsp of sugar
- Peel and cut everything up.
- Use a mortar and pound it, try not to use a blender as we want the texture of the chilli to be slightly rough.
- Heat up 4-5 tablespoons of oil and throw all pounded ingredients in.
- Fry till fragrant and store for up to a week.
You may use this paste as a base for any seafood that you want. Then add salt or sugar till desired.