- 3 tbsps Rempah (Recipe available here)
- 1 cup white rice vinegar
- 1½ cups water
- 2 cups sugar (400 g)
- For blanching
- 2 cups white rice vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 150g carrots, peeled, trimmed, and cut into thin batons
- 300g cabbage, cut into large bite size pieces
- 150g turnip, cut into thin slices
- Half pineapple, cut into slices
- 3 cucumbers, trimmed and cut into batons
- 3 tbsp salt
- 200 g peanuts, roasted, skin removed and coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted
Preparing the sauce
- Scoop rempah into a pot and heat over medium heat till fragrant and colour darkens, about 10 minutes.
- Add vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Simmer gently for 1 minute, covered. Turn off heat. Uncover and leave till cool.
- While cooking the sauce, you may taste it and add more of whichever condiments you think is required. No hard and fast rules.
Preparing the vegetables
- Bring ingredients for blanching to a rapid boil.
- Briefly blanch carrots and cabbage in batches. After blanching each batch, liquid should come back to a boil.
- Spread out vegetables to cool on large trays.
- Sprinkle cucumber with salt. Mix well.
- Leave to sweat for 30 minutes.
- Rinse and pat dry with kitchen towels.
Bringing all ingredients together
- In a bowl, mix everything except one third of peanuts and sesame seeds.
- Marinade should cover around 70% of vegetables as the vegetables will release more water into the mixture.