For the beef burger
- 12 Jacob's cream crackers
- 500g quality minced beef
- 1 large free range egg
- Feshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 round lettuce
- 3 tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 6 fresh burger buns
- 6 slices cheddar or mozarella cheese
- Mustard, optional
For the assorted vegetables
- 1 Carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 200g Asparagus, washed and bottom 1cm cut off (I peel the outer layer off so that its not so fibrous.)
- 3 Tomatoes, by the stem
Making your burger
- Put crackers in a plastic bag and smash them up till fine, breaking up any big bits and put them in a large bowl.
- Finely chop the parsley, including the stalks.
- Add the parsley, mustard and minced beef into the bowl.
- Crack the egg and add a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Scrunch and mix everything well.
- Divide into 6 and roll each piece into a roundish ball shape.
- Drizzle the burgers with oil, put them on a plate, cover with foil and place in the fridge till needed. We do this to firm up the meat so it is easier to handle when cooking it.
Cooking your burger
- Preheat griddle or grill pan on high heat. Once hot, turn down to medium heat.
- Place the meat balls down and use a spatula to lightly press down on them, making sure they are in full contact so as to cook evenly.
- Cook them till they are a bit crispy.
Preparing the vegetables
- Steam for 15 mins and set aside for serving later.
Serving your burger
- Wash and dry the lettuce leaves, making sure they are of the right size for the buns.
- Lay them on the buns in whichever order you like. Put the tomatoes, spinach, cheese and meat patties.
- Lay the vegetables at the side of the plate.